Liam

baby development

Friday, August 15, 2008

A Subtlety I Envy

This time of year always reminds me of going back to school. I used to love all the shopping that went along with it. New supplies like binders and backpacks, and of course the new clothes. A time when you get to go on a mini shopping spree, and the parents would pay for it. Sigh, those were the days.

So naturally when thinking of the new school year, my mind eventually wanders off to the seasons changing. That's one thing I really miss living down in San Diego. Actual seasons. It's not much in the way of weather variety. Northern California had the perfect amount. It wasn't the extreme weather of living on the east coast or further north, but it was enough to where you had a distinct spring, summer, fall, and winter. In San Diego we kind of fade from winter to summer. And winter is only identified by slightly cooler weather. And maybe rain a couple of times. I miss the changing leaves, and the actual thunderstorms of Sacramento. Not that I'd want snow and stuff like that. But sometimes it's nice to get cozy in the winter with a fire and a good movie or book, cuddling up with that certain someone, and hearing the rain on the roof.

When Argentinian and I have gone up for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas the last couple of years, it's a nice change. It feels more like Christmas when it's cold out. That's a second reason I'm a little bummed this baby is coming on or around Christmas (aside from having to share his birthday with Christmas. Torture for any child). It'll be the first time I don't spend Christmas with my family. Instead I'll be down here in San Diego, and I don't know that any family besides the two of us will be around. That's slightly disappointing. I sometimes secretly (well, it was a secret) hope that the baby will come a tiny bit early (as long as he's healthy), so we can make a trip up there for Christmas. I'd suffer the drive with a newborn. Wow... I really digressed there... Anyway, I always love going back up there in the colder months and getting to see the effects (affects?) of fall and winter.

Major digression: The Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You song just came up on my iPod, and it reminded me of 10 Things I Hate About You, where Heath Ledger sings it. The beginning of thousands of girls developing a crush on him. I know I can't be the only teenage girl who found his charming "bad boy" character...charming. (Where's a thesaurus when you need one?)



I still can't believe he's dead.

No comments: